Saturday, March 6, 2010

A Serious Man

Since Judy reviewed all but one of the Academy award nominated movies, I though I would review the one she didn't on the eve of the academy awards just in case anyone is interested. I have not seen many of the nominees this year and after reading Judy's review I probably won't. As I get older I seem to have more difficulty with violent movies. I say that even though some of my favorite films or at least ones that I have liked a lot are very violent. I'm not in the mood for instance, to see "The Hurt Locker." I'm not keen on war movies. And yet "Saving Private Ryan" as difficult as it was to watch ranks in my top 25 films. (Maybe, I'll have to think about my top 25, it is in at least my top 50.) And then there is the 2007 Academy Award winning film "No Country for Old Men." I loved that movie. A classic story of good and evil. The story wraps around a man who in attempting to do something bad, ends up trying to do something good that gets him caught up in a world he can't control. Brilliant acting but very violent though to me the violence seemed contained and the characters were the interesting part. A Coen Brother's movie which leads nicely in to the review a "A Serious Man" also by the Coen Brothers.

A serious Man is a big departure from most of the Coen Brother's other movies. I have actually seen 8 out of their 13 movies: Raising Arizona, Barton Fink, Fargo (a personal favorite though again very violent), O' Brother. Where Art Thou, Intolerable Cruelty, No Country for Old Men, Burn After Reading, and A Serious Man. What is similar to their other movies is the quirky characters and the superb level of acting on every one's part. The story is basically about a man who's life starts to fall apart when his wife tells him she is leaving him for the neighbor and he questions what he has done to anger God. He tries to get answers from several Rabbi's but they are of little help. It isn't a particularly fun or even enjoyable movie. The characters are not handsome or beautiful. But it is intriguing with it's questions and relationships. I'd recommend it. Will it win the Best Picture? Not a chance unless the voting gets completely screwed up. Michael Strubarg is up for best actor as well. He won't get the prize.

As I said in a previous blog some where I think Jeff Bridges will get it for "Crazy Heart" and probably deserves it for great contributions over the years. I think the Academy will recognize their first woman, Kathryn Bigelow, for best director. I didn't realize until just now that she is only the 4th woman to be nominated in that category. I didn't realize that Holliwood was such an "old boy's club". Maybe old and new boys. My money is on Sandra Bullock for best actress, again because of her contribution to the industry. Best picture "The Hurt Locker" because of the director. I have only seen three of the ten nominated films. "Up in the Air", "Up", and "A Serious Man." My favorite by far was "Up in the Air."

No comments:

Post a Comment